Enterprise Advisers are being recruited from local businesses and organisations and work at a strategic level alongside the schools' senior management teams. The aim of these partnerships is to evaluate the existing careers and enterprise work taking place in the schools and develop activity plans to ensure that the best local provision can be accessed, helping to better prepare their students for the world of work.
Benefits in becoming a volunteer Enterprise Adviser include:
- The opportunity to help shape the future workforce
- Making a real difference to inspire young people
- Challenging and resolving local skills issues
- A commitment of only eight or so hours a month - the equivalent of just one day
- Personal development opportunities
- Showcasing your company
- Gaining an insight into the world of education
- Connecting with your local education school or college
All schools and colleges are required to deliver a careers programme that inspires and informs their students about the world of work. To support this, we aim to match every school and college with a volunteer from business who can provide advice on effectively engaging with employers. Our Enterprise Advisers bring their wealth of knowledge and experience to help develop a comprehensive careers programme for a local school or college which will fully support young people between 11 and 18 years old.
In 2013 the Gatsby Foundation commissioned Sir John Holman to research pragmatic actions that could improve career guidance in England and subsequently he developed the Good Career Guidance Benchmarks, known as the Gatsby Benchmarks. Our key focus is to support schools & colleges to achieve Benchmark 5 (employer encounters) and Benchmark 6 (experiences of the workplace). The two benchmarks help to ensure that young people have the opportunity to participate in a range of employer led careers activities and visit a variety of sector workplaces, thereby helping to develop skills for the world of work.
Delivered in partnership with the Careers and Enterprise Company, the Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership is working through its partners to deliver this national programme across the region.
Join the Enterprise Adviser Network
Help inspire and prepare young people for the world of work. This is an opportunity for you to use your knowledge of the world of work to make a lasting positive impact on the future of young people. The network will develop young people's preparedness for the workplace.
To be an Enterprise Adviser, ideally you will be:
- A connected, credible and committed individual
- Passionate about raising the career ambitions and work prospects of young people in East Surrey, Gatwick Diamond, Brighton & Hove and West Sussex
- Interested in helping schools and colleges improve their links with the business community
- A self-starter, willing and able to work at a strategic level
At Coast to Capital we are working to help remove barriers that businesses face with regards to their workforce and skills and to aid in increased productivity across the area . The EAN programme seeks to address this issue by providing businesses access to young people to help shape their future workforce.
Through supporting local schools and colleges, employers can gain an insight into the education landscape and as a result adapt their recruitment and training processes. The direct interaction with the talent pipeline can also contribute to meeting the requirements of any Corporate Social Responsibility policy.